Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Favorite Movies


Nate’s 9: Favorite Movies

This was really hard, because when I started I thought “Goodfellas” would be top 5, and I thought that “In the Name of the Father”, “There Will Be Blood”, “Crash”, and “Midnight Cowboy” would all have places in the top 9.  I sat down with 94 movies when I started, and while I don’t feel good about kicking some ridiculously good films out of this list, I had to have all of these in here.  I think the reasons that these pictures made it, and not the aforementioned, is because they got to me beyond the realm of just watching the film, and have stayed with me leading up to and through the writing of this blog.

Note: Lion King makes the top 9 under normal circumstances, but since I’ve already completed an animated movies top 9, I decided to leave this for the film industry.

#9 – Sandlot.  The first movie that I feel in love with, so I had to find room for it on this list. With classic lines like,
“For-Ev-Er”,
“You’re killin’ me Smalls”,
“Remember kid. There’s heroes and there’s legends.  Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you’ll never go wrong.”
It’s one of the greatest sports movies for quotes that I’ve ever had the privilege of watching.  Even the character’s names are memorable.  Ham. Squints. Yeah-Yeah. The Jet.  I’m not sure if any of our kids are going to be able to relate to the film the way that we were able to.  One of my favorite memories growing up were all the sandlot sports games that we used to play, and the freedom that came along with that.  Our parents never worried about where we were, because we were always together.  We didn’t have to be at a particular sporting event by 6:00, because we always made our own games.  I cherished those memories, and I’d never trade them for organized sports, and I think this movie emulates most of those feelings that we had as kids.  Wendy Peffercorn may still live in the minds of many grown men, hoping to be saved from drowning. One of the best things at the end of the film was knowing that Squints was able to lock that up after all.



#8 – Kramer vs. Kramer.  Knowing what a child means to a home now, I can totally appreciate this movie much more than I ever would have been able to under other circumstances.  Dustin Hoffman is terrific as Ted, and Meryl Streep plays the unhappy Joanna so well, that even though I think she wasn’t doing the right thing, I can absolutely understand what she was going through.  The dialogue is phenomenal; Hoffman and Justin Henry, who plays their son, have excellent chemistry.  It’s a battle that I would never want to go to war for, but I imagine that this type of thing plays out a lot more than we think.  The ending still fires me up just thinking about it, but I believe that it was a reflection of America at this time.  One of the more emotional and involved movies I think I’ve ever watched.



#7 – Field of Dreams.  Woo boy.  If this ending doesn’t choke you up a little bit when the sun is setting and the ball is getting tossed around, then I question your feelings as a human being.  A movie that I can relate to for many reasons.  First, my complex relationship with my father.  Any boy would love to have that second opportunity to spend some quality time with a dad that can no longer be with them.  Second, his passion for sports takes him all around the country in his quest for discovering what he needs to know about himself.  I needed that year in Europe; without it, sports wise I don’t think I would be complete.  Soccer, after my family and writing, probably defines me more than anything else, and so I thoroughly understand why Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) needed to build his baseball field.  If I had the yard, well, you know.  Third, James Earl Jones is the master.  His laugh walking through the cornstalks is hauntingly beautiful and inexplicably sad all at once, and it leaves you wondering exactly what is beyond the baseball field in Iowa.  And sweet, little Burt Lancaster.  His smile makes me smile.  A rich film indeed.



#6 – Michael Clayton.  Recommended to me by a friend.  At first I wasn’t sure why.  The cast was okay, but it wasn’t any of my favorite actors. All he said was that it was my type of film.  Halfway through, I was confused, disoriented, and wasn’t connecting the dots at all.  The second time... masterpiece.  It was so brilliantly interwoven, and the truths weren’t revealed until the very end.  It wasn’t edge on your seat suspenseful, with guns blazing and cars flipping, but every scene required some little insignificant detail, that would be later returned in vociferous encounters with undetermined assailants.  It shows a soft side as well through Clayton’s (George Clooney) relationship with his son Henry.  My entire favorite part of the movie though, is Clooney’s fabulous line near the end of the story. “I am Shiva, The God of Death!” In any case, if you haven’t seen this movie, or didn’t like it the first time of viewing, just give it one more try.  When all the t’s are crossed and all the I’s dotted, the ending is mind blowing.



#5 – The Pianist.  I remember this movie being talked about when I was in my early twenties, but I’m glad that I didn’t give it a try.  I feel partly responsible for World War II; I am familiar with all the hate crimes that the Nazi’s committed, and yet I’ve forgiven them.  Deep down, I really feel like its one situation of which I shouldn’t.  Someone, anyone could have done so much more to help stop the madness that occurred throughout Europe.  I still think it took the Russians to do most of the heavy lifting, but two stories have convinced me that not all was evil.  Not everyone wanted the Hitler dream.  The first was Schindler’s List.  Damned if he didn’t so some good, and I’m glad he was recognized for it.  The second is the Pianist.  At first I just thought it was a good film. About two hours in I believed it worthy of the three Oscars, but that it wouldn’t go down as one of my all-time greats.  After watching Warsaw get destroyed over and over again, I just assumed my bitterness would get the best of me and I wouldn’t be able to finish the film.  I’m so, so thankful that I kept going.  Wilm Hosenfeld deserves to be remembered for the remnants of time; all those wonderful things he did for the Polish and Jewish people during the Second World War is amazing and altruistic. Władysław Szpilman deserves some credit too; using his own memoirs to create this film, and getting the knowledge of what Hosenfeld did for the world to see.  It’s a special, heartfelt movie, and I only wish it could have ended with a happier result.  It's the only movie that I physically walked away from, in tears, when it rolled to the credits. I have taken much from it though; I have read James Michener’s “Poland”, and I spend part of my limited free time learning and understanding the proceedings that took place during our history’s most turbulent time.



#4 – Blow.  Johnny Depp has done some amazing things throughout his career. Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, Captain Jack Sparrow, Ichabod Crane, and on and on.  But it’s his portrayal of George Jung – the supplier of most of America’s cocaine in the early 1970’s that has me convinced that he’s one of this generation's greats.  He captures Jung in all of his moments – 'carefree' early in California, 'supportive' in his relationship with Barbara before she moves on, 'afraid' of meeting El Diablo for the first time, 'over-confident' when he starts to make a killing on cocaine sales in the US, 'humble' during his come down, and 'repentant' when his daughter comes to prison.  It’s one of the greatest true stories that I have ever watched, and for many years, was my favorite film of all-time.  I haven’t used cocaine once in my entire life, but to watch what it does to people... that’s entertainment.  Everybody is brilliant in this flick, but I think special reverence goes to Penelope Cruz – she was unforgettable in her interpretation of Mirtha.  She left a mark.



#3 – Taxi Driver. Travis Bickle!  I had seen a number of Robert DeNiro films by this point, but it wasn’t until his portrayal of Bickle, did I believe him to be part of the all-time greats (Now I have him #3).  I understand and can sympathize with any solider that fought over in Vietnam, it’s was the main topic in many of the conversations that I had with my dad, once I was old enough to comprehend what happened over there.  They got effed. (The troops). Really bad.  And those troops reacted to their experiences in many different ways.  Take Bickle.  He just wanted to commit random acts of violence (albeit for the good of man), and took the steps necessary to try and make that happen.  While his life probably didn’t end up the way he planned for it too, I hope he can take solace in knowing that he was the hero in someone’s eyes, who probably didn’t have hope for those types of thoughts to take place. And the instant classic, “You talkin’ to me?” That scene propels this movie straight into the top nine as far as I’m concerned.



#2 – Big Fish. For me, by Tim Burton.  While I don’t particular care for Mr. Burton’s directional procedures, I know without a doubt that this film was meant for me to be in the audience.  I can only hope that each one of you have a film that touches you, and affects your life and your experiences, the way this one did for mine.  Don’t really need to touch on why it’s on my list, or even recount the great lines, but just know that if you want to know a little more of my story and what I’m about, that you only need to give up 2 hours of your life.



#1 – Godfather.  5th in my book list, but the movie.  The movie is simply perfect.  Mario Puzo is one of, if not the favorite author of yours truly.  It’s a great book.  He captures the characters so well, and most of you probably agree that a book always kicks the crap out of the film that tries to replicate it.  NOT THIS TIME. I don’t want to label it the perfect film, because every piece of art and entertainment needs to be appraised and critiqued beyond all reasonable doubt (Pete Carroll, anyone), but Marlon Brando captures Don flawlessly. Al Pacino with Michael Corelone. I don’t need to go on, if you’ve seen these films (the first two), you know exactly what I’m talking about. It has a perfect score on Metascore is which nearly impossible to do (only one publication has to give you a 99, for your score to be a... 99). The trailer is so good that I’d rather watch that then about 90% of the film industry.  It’s much more than a classic; I’m still looking for the right words to express what this film means to me, what it means to the industry, what it means to our culture, what it may mean to you.  There are no stereotypes, no one is typecast, no one hogs the screen, and no one over pursues their character.  Pacino waits in the background until his moment is called, and that’s probably my all-time favorite moment, in any movie, or entertainment product ever.  This movie is in a class, all by itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment