Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Favorite Game of Thrones Houses

Nate’s 9: Houses in Game of Thrones

A blog that I should’ve written a long time ago. This series by George R.R. Martin is my favorite book series of all-time and it’s not even close.  The best part for me is I’m infatuated about the HBO series as well, and I’ve only watched the first two seasons so far.  I am fully aware of everything that happens in the HBO version; I will do my best to keep out any spoilers for those of you that haven’t caught up to the end of “A Dance with Dragons”, in the book series.  I think the best part about this particular series is that I can do this blog now and 1,000 pages later favorite characters will have died, new houses will have come to the forefront, and Tyrion will have committed another folly.  It’s great stuff!

*So after reading this back, there are 1-2 spoilers that don't really gave away scenes, but do mention characters that haven't been introduced yet.  Proceed at your own risk...

#9 – House Arryn.  I’m actually only fond of about two people in this house, and it more relates to other characters’ flashbacks that are mentioned in the novels.  I like Jon Arryn although we’re never introduced to him in the novels.  He had the decency to raise Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon as good men, and became Robert’s hand after he had taken over the kingdom following the deaths of Rhaegar and the Mad King, Dany’s brother and father.  He kept the Arryn house honest, even if he decided to marry poorly.  The other character of course is Petyr Baelish, one that I think is very important to the series.  His moves have been grand; he hasn’t missed on any of the details.  I think that he’s already made some of the biggest moves, and I also think there are more moves for him to make in the future.

#8 – House Tully.  They are just so good-natured and at ease with a world filled with war and political corruption.  Hostel is such a gentleman; he keeps his illness a secret so the remaining supporters of his house can fight the war against the Lannisters without worrying about his situation.  He raised two strong and intelligent children in Catelyn and Edmure.  Edmure even gains the respect of Jamie Lannister while he has him prisoner, and is able to do enough to keep his life heading into books 4 & 5.  Catelyn is one of the strongest characters of the series, although she does show a weakness with her ill will towards Jon Snow.  She must know that there is more to that story, because Ned Stark values honor above everything else.  While I think the House is in a state of decline, they are still one of the stronger Houses in Westeros and could align themselves close to the kingdom in a matter of time.

#7 – House Bolton.  For being a house filled with villains, I will say that I enjoy their political maneuvering and aspirations.  Roose wears a pink cloak, which in and of itself is quite awesome.  Not only is he cold and calculating, but he can rock the pink as well.  He plays a very low key political game; strategically joining sides that he feels best suits his game to continue ascending toward whatever his final plans may be.  Roose also makes the move that may have been the most significant up to this point when he takes down the “undefeated” Robb Stark at the Red Wedding.  His son Ramsay is a bastard in more ways than one.  He is as cold as his father, but a lot more unforgiving.  He hasn’t made any great moves that will have raised the profile of the Bolton House, but he isn’t a character that should be crossed.  I’ll be curious to see how the tale unfolds for this quiet, vengeful family from the north.

#6 – House Tyrell.  I don’t think we have seen the best of this House quite yet.  During Robert’s Rebellion, they stayed loyal to the Targaryens and just sat back and really only offered troops while needed.  They got crushed when Robert came to power, but have slowly fought their way back to the great Houses of Westeros.  Outside of the Lannisters, they probably have the most financial backing of any house.  They are situated in a great location, as Highgarden sits a few days ride from King’s Landing, but away from all the battles of the War of the 5 Kings.  They continue to make small moves.  Not sure how many we can mention because I haven’t seen Seasons 3 & 4 on HBO, but they are getting their fingers into all the echelons that are needed to gain power.

#5 – House Stark.  They have the most unfortunate luck of any house in the realm.  I feel like at the beginning of the novel, while Westeros was enjoying a peaceful time, they were positioned very well.  Many heirs to the lands of Winterfell, a large number of allegiances both near and far, a hostage in Theon that would prove vital, and a stellar relationship with the King (Robert).  Needless to say, it’s all fallen apart, but I still do enjoy many of their characters.  Bran has come into his own, and I believe will have an exceedingly imperative role to play as the tale continues to unfold.  Snow has become one of the leaders at the Wall, and is battling to keep the kingdom from being ambushed by those above the Wall.  Arya is traveling to better improve her life, and will be one of the more interesting subplots in future books and seasons.  Sansa has become a woman, and an intelligent one at that; she might become a big piece to the story as alignments shift and Houses continue to make big moves.

#4 – House Targaryen.  I surely hope that George R.R. Martin has enough left in him to tell the story of the Targaryens’ while in power.  They were a dynasty of a House that had control of a relatively peaceful kingdom for almost 300 years until Robert’s Rebellion.  And even then it can be assumed that Prince Rhaegar would’ve been a much better king if they had just let it die after the Mad King was defeated.  In any case, I’m excited for the possible comeback of Danerys.  She appears to keep stalling at a siege of Westeros, but I imagine it’s going to be a part of Martin’s final chapters.  I’m also excited for some of the other secrets that Martin’s been keeping about members of this house, but I will leave it at that!  Any family that can tame dragons and use them for their own ambitious needs is good in my book!

#3 – House Baratheon.  I imagine that they are something like the Dallas Cowboys, and while Robert Baratheon is everything Troy Aikman was, Stannis Baratheon will forever be Tony Romo.  But I’m still a fan of the House, and although the end of the royal line might be done with the death of one Joffrey “Baratheon”, they still have a lot left to say for the battle of Westeros.  I’m still most heartbroken over the loss of dear Renly who would’ve made a great King in my opinion.  He was a Lord (Storm’s End), he served on Robert’s council (Master of Laws), he was good-looking (evidently), and he fought in tournaments, and had the people’s favor.  But it was not to be, as Stannis had the power of sorcery.  In any case, Stannis can still make big moves if he can defeat the cold that has emboldened Winterfell since his siege of the North.  Robert was a wonderful character who was gone too soon, and was a good king.  It’s a shame that political goals by the Lannisters ended his life a few books too soon.

#2 – House Lannister.  I know.  It’s like cheering for Darth Vader, the Yankees, Megatron, etc.  But they have a lot of fervor for political affairs and their sympathetic characters (Tyrion, Jamie?) are fun perspectives to observe the world from.  Besides as most of us all know, Tywin isn’t all bad.  He’s just embarrassed that one of his children is an imp, one of them no longer has the use of both hands and therefore can’t become King or own lands, and one is a lunatic.  His wife (who it appears was very tender and caring) was killed during childbirth, and he saw no one fit or rich enough to remarry.  Is that so bad?  I also love Tyrion and his story is always entertaining.  It was tough enough not having him in book 4, beyond it being my least favorite of the 5 books.  Not only is he comic relief, but I think he has developed to the point of being one of the protagonists of the story as well.  While Jamie nor Cersei can be considered any of my favorites, they play such a relevant part of the story that you can’t help but at least enjoy the journey in which each are taking.


#1 – House Martell.  Granted, when I say that book 4 is my least favorite of all the story lines, I do love the introduction of House Martell and most of the members within.  The Viper is known to be my favorite character in all of the series, and I was sad to see him go (I hope all of you that have the audacity to read this, at least know that he’s no longer with us).  I also enjoy Prince Doran, who is smarter than we are first let on.  He has been plotting revenge over his niece’s death and her children for 16+ years. I also am impressed by their laws with which the family values equal rights; women can ascend to the throne in the same manner as men, and some even learn the use of sorcery, weapons and poison.  The Sand Snakes (which are the 8 daughters of one Oberyn Martell) are some of my favorite characters in the series, and it will be interesting to see where their future lies within the story.  We know that they want vengeance for their father’s death; I’ll be curious to see if they get it.  Another intriguing story line is whether or not Princess Arianne gets what both she and her father have planned for her.  I am well aware that this part of the book has yet to make the television series, so I will leave it out, but just know that the battle for the Iron Throne is going to get very interesting.  The Lannisters may have their match.



No comments:

Post a Comment