Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Favorite College Programs

Nate’s 9: Favorite College Football Programs

            This one is going to be completely biased and utterly unfair.  I haven’t taken any outside considerations when selecting those that I believe to be in my top 9, and it’s based on my feelings only.  I decided to do this for two reasons.  First, I want my children to have some sort of guidelines as to what schools they need to aim for if they want to achieve greatness at football (I’m kidding).  Second, it’s waaaay to hard to actually create the list for top 9 college football programs.  There’s no way I would ever get it right, there would be way to much debate, and I’m not trying to engage a circus of opinions.  I just want to share my bias in football. 

If I did try to list top 9 of all-time though, maybe it looks something like this...?

#9- University of Miami (not of Ohio)
#8- USC
#7- Michigan
#6- Ohio State
#5- Florida State
#4- Oklahoma
#3- Texas
#2- Notre Dame
#1- Alabama

Or something pretty close to that anyway.  I prefer the personal relationships with a college program; someone that may have invited you to their tailgate BBQ when you’re an out-of-towner, or a school that is considered beautiful, or fans that are so passionate that they cry when they win, and cry when they lose.  Here are the 9 programs that I share those same values with. (Just know, my #1 is a personal thing, I grew up with them in my heart).

#9 – Minnesota Golden Gophers.  At first, they were on the outside looking in.  Hovering around the 13-15 spots.  Then, they just kept staying alive while I eliminated the Seminoles, Cornhuskers, and a few others.  I don’t know what it is about this program, because I don’t think that they have a loyal fan base, they don’t win enough to be considered a big time program, and there is nothing here in Minneapolis that stands out to the purpose that would make the Gophers an attraction.  But, I find myself always wanting them to do well, and I certainly follow the careers of Gophers that find their way to the NFL (I own Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber jerseys, and I follow MarQueis Gray on Twitter). I love my own personal game experience at TCF Bank, and for what they lack in competitiveness and fan support, is surely made up for in staff politeness and menu selection.  I’ve been to Ryan Field (Northwestern) and so I can say legitimately that those things do account for much. 



#8 – Michigan State Spartans.  I’ve always had a soft spot for Spartan football and basketball.  I’m not quite sure why, only that it came from a really young age.  I liked Shawn Respert and Mateen Cleaves growing up as far as basketball was concerned, and for some reason TJ Duckett, Jeff Smoker and Charles Rogers were favorites of mine in the world of football.  Winning had nothing to do with it; Michigan State had a hard time winning football games until Mark Dantonio arrived on the campus in ’07.  I know their basketball team has been good for quite some time, but to the point of me purchasing a Spartans jersey and cap, I can’t say for sure.  I know their rivalry with Michigan must have a little to do with it; most of you probably know I can’t stand the Wolverines and Michigan fans in general.  In any case, East Lansing is a trip I’ve always wanted to make, and I really do enjoy seeing the Spartans succeed in the world of athletics (minus hockey, of course).



#7 – Tennessee Volunteers.  I dedicate their position in my nine completely to Rocky Top.  I can’t get enough of that football fight song.  I get excited about college football just thinking about it.  Also, you have to consider that while they haven’t been great as of the last few seasons, the Vols have had the pleasure of having Peyton Manning, Reggie White and Willie Gault, who are three of my all-time favorite players.  They did happen to win a championship in my lifetime, albeit with Peerless Price and Tee Martin leading the way (which no one saw coming).  They should have played for a championship in 2001, which I consider to be one of the greatest college football teams that I’ve ever seen. They had Donte Stallworth, John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth and Jason Witten among many others.  A bad loss to Georgia and losing in the SEC Championship ruined any chance at a title, but as you can see, my heart still breaks for that team.  That influence, the fight song, and all that damn orange is enough for me to admire a program that I wish would reach the heights that they were once used to.



#6 – Wisconsin Badgers.  I used to hate this program for so long.  I couldn’t understand how Madison, a city that in my head had absolutely nothing of value, could lure great athletes from both Illinois and Minnesota, and essentially play for Big Ten championships every year.  It was baffling to me. But Barry Alvarez leads the life that I can only dream of.  He put the school and football program on the map, he became the athletic director that oversees one of the best programs in the country in all of the sport considerations, and they do it in a place that doesn’t allow for easy recruiting access.  For the most part, there are no ultra talented football players in the state of Wisconsin.  There certainly aren’t any top of the nation basketball players in the state of Wisconsin.  They raise cows and the occasional hockey player.  But damned if I’m not jealous and a little bit proud of what Wisconsin football has done for the upper Midwest in general.  It’s where I wish the Gophers could be.



#5 – North Carolina Tar Heels.  This is a funny one, I know, and I can honestly say that it correlates a little bit to the love that I have for their basketball program.  Yet, I can’t help but think that their football program should be close to that level as well.  They certainly have all the means to be there.  Because of the basketball program, the school is very visible to the country.  They are in a state that now hosts professional football on Sundays, and between the up and rising Duke Blue Devils and the always steady NC State Wolfpack, are part of a group of schools that should give depth to the ACC.  I’ll tell you why I like them though.  They seem to get really lucky, and every 4-5 years, recruit a player that I really enjoy watching.  It all started with Vonnie Holliday, Dre Bly and Greg Ellis.  I loved them all coming out of college, and I was super excited when the Packers had the chance to draft Holliday (Steady, but never spectacular NFL career).  Then, one of my all-time favorites in Julius Peppers who I enjoyed watching on the court too.  Ronald Curry also played during that time, and what a treat he was to watch.  I had wished the world for that player, he certainly had the skill set to be one of the greats. Michael Waddell and Dexter Reid never really panned out in the pros, but they were a great pair of defensive backs during a high time for the Tar Heels.  And most recently, I’ve enjoyed Hakeem Nicks and Brandon Tate (hell, I even own a Nicks NY Giants jersey).  For some reason, I can’t get enough of Tar Heels football. 



#4 – Florida Gators.  If I had been a five-star recruit, I would have gone to Florida.  I love everything about this program, or I have since Steve Spurrier got them to play that high flying style of football twenty years ago.  Danny Wuerffel, yep that was my guy.  Ike Hilliard and Reidel Anthony are still two of my favorite wide receivers.  This offense just went.  I love the swamp, I love the chomp, I love the colors, and most of all – I love the speed.  When the Gators were at the top of the college football world, they just flew around the field, offense and defense alike.  I still think the CB combo of Joe Haden and Janoris Jenkins is one of the best that I’ve ever seen.  Maybe only Philip Buchanon and Mike Rumph would I consider to be better, but both groups won NCAA championships.  I was a huge fan of both the Urban Meyer led Gators and Spurrier’s Gators as well.  I loved the pistol and the jet sweep, even though it was run by Tim Tebow, one of the few players that I didn’t particularly care for (on the field, naturally).  I even tweeted out my agitation at the Will Muschamp led Gators, because I hate seeing a proud program like this suffer so.  Once Tennessee and Florida start winning football games again, will everything be right with the SEC.



#3 – Oregon Ducks.  It’s recent, I can admit that. It all goes back to the speed, and how much they have of it.  But for all their speed, and flash, pretty jerseys and beautiful facilities, they still play some tough and intelligent football.  They test the limits of other teams with their preposterously quick hurry-up offense, and I appreciate why and how they do so.  I know a lot of the traditionalists complain, but who doesn’t love points in football?  Well, me, I love 13-7 games, but if you're going to go, go all out.  I love how their complex offensive plays get multiple players so wide open, that you can’t find the defensive players on the camera.  I love that they recruit 3 five-star running backs, and find the amount of carries to keep all of them happy.  I love that when they can’t keep them happy; they just move them to a different position on the field.  What I think I love the most though is that football is about guts and glory, and about who’s stronger and has more determination, and they’ve taken that theory and shoved it right back up the bleepity bleeps of the people who don’t care for change in their sport.  Well done, Ducks.



#2 – Miami Hurricanes.  Schwag – Swag, but not white people swag.  Like, the we get 30 for 30 (2) documentaries made about us, we have the entire nation wanting us to lose, we could take on an NFL team, we do so much coke down here on campus but don’t give a – type swag.  I loved Schnellenberger, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis and grudgingly Jimmy Johnson.  It was around the time of Johnson that I thought they took it overboard.  And they did.  But now that they are forgiven, it truly is one of the great resuscitations in college sports history.  (Watch the 30 for 30, there were talks of them eliminating the program).  While Randy Shannon and Al Golden have done their best to turn this program around after all the penalties that the Canes received, it still is a long way back for them to recoup some of that luster from their glory days.  I don’t think they’ll ever quite get that back though, not with Twitter; not with the constant media attention and analysis and everything you say can and will be used against you in the court of sports.  But for those ten to fifteen seasons, there was no schwag better than that of these Miami Hurricanes. The U.



#1 – Penn State Nittany Lions.  This wasn’t hard.  It wasn’t supposed to be.  I’ve been a fan of the Nittany Lions since I can remember watching football.  My first starter jacket?  Yep, a Penn State one.  My first favorite player? Yep, a Penn State player.  (Blair Thomas, for you curious ones).  I’ve kind of treated my fandom of Penn State as one would breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It’s what I know, so I’m going to continue to do it.  And they’ve made it tough.  I still question whether or not I would let my children attend Penn State to play football.  That hurts to say, but it’s what I feel in my heart.  That school let me down big time, not only by ignoring the situation, but how they reacted to it after it became public.  Yet, we all make mistakes, and I’ve forgiven the school and the program.  I’m pleased to see that the NCAA has as well, and that a majority of the mistakes were done by the prior board of the school, and one man. 

I also still get jacked up over the 1994 football season.  They would have beaten the Cornhuskers that year, of which I have no question.  A horse crap game against a bad Indiana team must be what people remember, because Penn State was #1 in the country prior to that game.  They won it, but still dropped down to #2.  And stayed there, undefeated, until the season was over. 


            A game day experience at Beaver Stadium is still unlike any other I’ve been a part of, including Lambeau.  It’s such a tight-knit town, with polite fans that are passionate about their football.  I’ve never seen a visiting fan get heckled beyond what would be considered uncomfortable, and it’s usually friendly banter that isn’t taken very seriously. (Although I’ve heard home games against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish aren’t considered quite so friendly).  Everyone makes a day of the event, because parking getting there is atrocious and leaving after the game is a slow, excruciating process.  I think my dad decided to leave a game directly after and it took us 3 hours to get home, when normal circumstances run about 15 minutes.  I have yet to see Penn State lose at home, so part of that might come into play, but for me there will ever only be one #1 program.  That of the Penn State Nittany Lions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment