Wednesday, November 20, 2013

9 NCAA(B) Freshmen


Nate’s 9: The Great College Freshmen

                After watching the early basketball showcase that the NCAA provided in the first week of college basketball, I got as excited as a puppy dog that finds a pound of bacon in his dog bowl.  What beautiful freshmen!  First I got to see Julius Randle and friends play close to the experienced and classy Michigan State Spartans before dropping off late.  Randle is definitely the real deal.  As I was getting ready for bed, I glanced at twitter and saw that Duke was playing Kansas in the night cap.  Are you kidding me?!? Wiggins vs Parker!  How did I know about the first game but not the second!? Anyway, it was everything I thought it would be, as were the two great players.  No wonder NBA GM’s are salivating. Here’s my top 9…

#9.  Derrick Walton PG Michigan.  I only got to see him in a cameo so far, but I didn’t really need that much.  Trey Burke was my favorite player in all of college basketball last year, and I don’t think Michigan will lose anything when it comes to productivity.  He might be one of the few on this list to stay a few seasons, but it’s only because he’s still a little raw.  He wasn’t a consensus All-American like the others, but he still was recruited hard by the Wolverines, Michigan State and UConn just to name a few.
NBA LOOK ALIKE – Tim Hardaway… for the defense.

#8. Wayne Selden SG Kansas.  It’s going to be tough to see it in his stats because he has Perry Ellis in front of him, but I know that the GM’s are really going to like this kid.  He’s kind of like a poor man’s Kobe Bryant; he always goes hard and doesn’t seem afraid of any shot, but just like Kobe in the playoffs he may need some time to get acclimated.  If possible, he would be the player I would want to complete the Minnesota Timberwolves project toward becoming a great team again. 
NBA LOOK ALIKE – Evan Turner

#7. Tyler Ennis PG Syracuse. Haven’t seen him much because he comes from Canada and didn’t play in any of the All-star games, but I got to watch a game with Syracuse and he definitely has the “it” factor.  He is more Michael Carter-Williams than Jonny Flynn, which is probably good for him and Syracuse.  He dictates the floor well, but isn’t afraid to take the big shot.  At least so far.  When we get to ACC play it will be interesting to see how well he handles the Pitt’s, Duke’s and UNC’s.  But I’m a fan.
NBA LOOK ALIKE – Mostly Deron Williams with a splash of Ray Felton.

#6. Aaron Harrison SG Kentucky.  The twins.  People have been talking about these guys for years, and now they are finally here.  They are definitely good enough to win a title at Kentucky and I believe that they could do it without Julius Randle, which is saying a lot.  I got to see Aaron at the McDonalds all-American game, and he’s very smooth.  He doesn’t see the court like his brother Andrew, but he has a nice shot, and gets into space.  I think he will be the second twin taken in next year’s draft, but he could have a bigger impact on the Wildcats season, because if Stein and Randle struggle (they shouldn’t), the burden on him to score might be higher (it won’t). 
NBA LOOK ALIKE – Allan Houston

#5 Aaron Gordon SF Arizona.  Everyone will know of this guy in a matter of time.  He was probably the last name that I had heard of on this list, and the only reason I did know was because Sports Illustrated did an article on him at the end of last season. Then I saw him at the All-American game.  Holy smokes.  All I can say is youtube is stuff if you can.  He will be a delicious player for some NBA team and I secretly hope it’s the New Orleans Pelicans, because they will be filthy good.  I doubt it because they are winning already, but this guy can fly.
NBA LOOK ALIKE – Early Vince Carter.  Oh yes.

#4 Andrew Harrison PG Kentucky.  The other one.  The better one, most like. He plays the game like all the calm point guard greats.  Similar to Magic Johnson, and Chris Paul, and Isiah Thomas and that group.  NBA players that have played pick-up ball games with him have already said he is NBA ready.  I think the position of point guard in the NBA is similar to Quarterback in the NFL, so for that recommendation… there is no doubt he is ready to go.  If you get a chance to see some Kentucky basketball, give this kid a glance.  Definitely the real deal.
NBA LOOK ALIKE – 2 parts Chris Paul, 1 part Mark Jackson with a splash of John Stockton.  Seriously.

#3 Andrew Wiggins SF Kansas.  This probably isn’t fair, because he may go #1 in next year’s NBA draft.  He probably should go #1 for a number of reasons, but he didn’t pass my eye test.  I put a lot of faith in making observations about athletes in different situations and he has yet to really show the hunger that I see in LeBron, Kobe, KD, etc.  He has a little bit of that Greg Oden aloofness, but his game is definitely impeccable.  He slows down the game of basketball, which is hard to do.  He is very calm for a freshman.  He wasn’t afraid to take any shot.  And his game is like silk.  I just want to see the killer look before I can deem a guy #1 draft pick worthy. 
NBA LOOK ALIKE – The best Grant Hill you can find. It’s a huge compliment.

#2 Julius Randle PF Kentucky.  Like Wiggins, and even Gordon, he could probably go #1 in any other draft.  He certainly would’ve this year.  It’s funny, I don’t think the Wildcats were suited to have a guy like this on their team.  They are going to dribble and penetrate the crap out of you with the Harrisons and James Young (#10), and Alex Poythress. But Randle will make all those guys want to use him because he dominates.  I mean like LeBron dominates.  That game against Michigan State when he decided to finally take over was awe-inspiring and remarkable. He couldn’t be stopped.  I haven’t seen such post dominance since Tim Duncan back at Wake Forest.  He owns the post.  He also has made range around the rim.  I mean anywhere from 10-12 feet out, similar to Hakeem Olajuwon. 
NBA LOOK ALIKE – A hybrid of LeBron James, Kevin Garnett and Tractor Traylor.  Believe me when I say, that’s nice.

#1 Jabari Parker SF Duke.  I don’t even like Duke, so this really means something.  He has that hunger, plus the passion for basketball that will keep him in the NBA for the next 15-20 years.  He’s that good.  I’ve known his story a little bit following the 30-30 ESPN series, and also from SI.  They compared him to LeBron in high school, and he stood up to that test.  He probably has the least talented group of teammates between himself, Wiggins and Randle, but I think he gives Duke a shot at winning the title.  He can play the 1-4.  He can bring the ball up the court.  He can shoot the three.  He can drive to the hoop.  He can post up on the block. He can D up.  For me, he is the total package.  I’m going to watch as much Duke basketball as I can this year, and in the past I would never say that.  Not for Grant Hill, not for Elton Brand and not for Kyrie Irving. Maybe not “The Chosen One”, but I will say “The Anointed One”.
NBA LOOK ALIKE – Scottie Pippen with Magic Johnson’s size and swag.

No comments:

Post a Comment