Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Hot Celebs '16

Nate’s 9: Best Looking Celebrities

            For reasons that I believe many will understand, this is always one of my favorite blogs to write. It’s evolved quite a bit over the years; from being a basic 20, to that audacious Hot 101, and into its current feature, as a Nate’s 9. I think most people are repeat readers now, which is fantastic and thank you very much, but I will share the terms with those that haven’t become familiar with this blog before we get started.

            Very simple. 3 rules. 1st rule: Look good. 2nd rule: Be Relevant. 3rd rule. 18-40. (Although a Mr. Moore continues to defy the odds of good looks, so I break the rules periodically for him.) If you fit into 2 of the 3 categories, you still miss out (Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan, etc). The blog is split into 3 parts: what I believe to be America’s favorite 9 (those already picked not included), my favorite 9, and something small and meaningless for the ladies (them boys).

            Lots of hard work and extensive research go into this product, and needless to say, I can’t do it alone. I would like to thank those people that work behind the scenes, offering suggestions, checking for clerical errors (like age), and overall adding to the enthusiasm of the project. Your help is not lost on me.

            Finally, a shout out to the missus. While I do take this work very seriously, and leave no stone left unturned, at the end of the day, there’s no one else I’d rather spend my life with, and your support and love is something that I cherish on a daily basis. Thank you, wife!

            So without further ado, let’s get introduced to some of the most beautiful people in the world!

2016’s Choices:

Honorable Mentions: Jessica Alba, Mila Kunis and Emma Roberts. Two ladies that lasted a decade in consideration (and a former America winner in Alba), and an up and coming star. Just lost a little bit of relevancy, but a talented trio in any case.
 
#9 – Pia Wurtzbach. I don’t usually pick a Miss Universe to make this list, only because I think it’s unfair. They’ve been groomed for these types of roles for years, and it’s not hard for them to qualify for the 3 rules, when it’s all they’ve ever known. I will make an exception for this woman; she is funny, beautiful, intelligent and well-spoken. She’ll be the girl that moves directly into Forbes’ magazine’s most influential women as soon as her Miss Universe reign is complete.

#8 – Kate Mara. She’s not really for me, but she’s really taken her game to another level. The Esquire photo shoot left people wanting for more, and her appearances in The Martian and Fantastic Four put her in the front of the news pages. Another 12 months as good as these and she could be at the top of her own House of Cards.



#7 – Emilia Clarke. Khalessi. That should be enough.



#6 – Beyonce. Kind of getting close to the end of her powers, but it’s been a great run. Relevance since the early 2000’s. Top of my list back in 2002 (when it wasn’t really a list, but only a conversation among friends), and she’s done a great job considering her relationship and becoming a mother. A true dynastic power in the world of beauty.


#5 - Alexandra Daddario. Probably should’ve made the Nate’s 9, but America loves her more. Really had quite the year, for someone that could be considered a rookie to this list. Percy Jackson films raised her to the higher levels, but San Andreas and the potential of Baywatch could have her gunning for the top. A classic beauty.



#4 - Emily Ratajkowski. I think this is low for her, but America won’t let me take her higher. She’s cute; always snapping photos in this age of photo relevancy, has a bit of talent as well, and looks to be growing into the spokesperson role as well. She’s like a laid-back Chrissy Teigen, which I believe is a compliment. Could challenge Daddario for next year’s title.



#3 - Margot Robbie. Simply stunning. At times I believe she should be on my list, but I don’t want to take her away from America’s vote. At least not yet.









#2 – Hannah Davis. Derek Jeter is just winning at life. I think she’s the most talented player on this list, as she can come away with beauty from multiple disciplines. Sports Illustrated has already proven the swimsuit genre, Victoria Secret and American Eagle from the world of modeling. If she gets into film, America might have a bone to pick with the Yankees #2.



#1 – Taylor Swift. This is hard for me, because I want to keep knocking her down. She’s just a country star. Then she diversifies into pop music. She’s too skinny. Gains hips like 12 months later. Just a cute little blonde, with cute little lyrics. Evolves to pull off multiple looks, hairstyles while also writing music that came straight from the diary. (It’s hard to share the most intimate details of one’s life, and she does it without fear and shame). I finally think I have it when I criticized her for being “made from the cultural machine”, and then Kanye does a Kanye thing, and makes her look even more impressive. My apology is in this ranking.



Nate’s 9

Honorable Mentions: Fun story these. Jasmine Sanders and Lauren Hanley were relative unknowns when I started the process for this year’s list, and then Chris Brown and Johnny Manziel happened. Sanders is the girl Brown snagged for awhile after Rihanna got knocked around, and Hanley is the girl who could keep up with Johnny’s partying (although maybe not anymore). Treats, the both of them.

#9 – Zendaya Coleman. I still remember watching DWTS for the first time, when my eye was turned. She was gorgeous. She could dance. She was confident. Alas, she was also only 17 (A few co-workers enjoyed mentioning that, when I told them about this new beauty). I resigned her to the minor leagues, but always assuming it would just be a matter of time (and success) before she got reconsidered. Here we are, my Rookie of the Year. I run into her from time to time on the Disney channel when my boys are flipping through, and I’m very familiar with the song that she put together with Chris Brown (Please tell me how this guy continues to do it!) that got Zendaya into the mainstream. Lots of time left for Ms. Coleman to chase the top of this list.



#8 – Victoria Justice. I just want to give a small shout-out to Disney and Nickelodeon for generating about 30% of the options during the preliminary rounds of this list. They sure do know what sells, and they understand that it starts earlier than it probably should. I think the reason that these ladies (Justice included) do so well in the eyes of the public is that while they might not be as pretty as the SI Models or Victoria Secret Angels that usually adorn this list, they have a sense of everyday about them that we all can relate to. I don’t think Justice ever gets to the level of wearing an “Angel’s wings”, but she’s certainly as beautiful and successful as those that do.



#7 – Erin Heatherton. Speaking of angels... There are probably more beautiful ones. There are probably a few that resonate with the public a little better. There are those that are well-spoken, and do public events, and get their own underwear named after them. But give me Heatherton over them any day. She listens to rap music, appears in great television programming such as “The League”, and is experienced in all genres of modeling. I also want to mention the Jewish heritage, but I think this is a place where I don’t make any jokes. Let’s just leave it at my favorite angel.



#6 – Emma Watson. Always hanging around. She’s like the St. Louis Cardinals of hot celebrities. You’re not sure how they continue to do well; you’re not sure why everyone likes them as their second favorite team. They don’t do anything flashy, they’re not over-the-top exciting, and they’re not major news players. But imagining a playoffs (or in this case: 9) without them is unfathomable, and you just couldn’t stand it otherwise. You’re just comforted in knowing that they’re always going to be there.



#5 – Keira Knightley. The lowest I’ve had her since the inaugural list back in 2003. No fault to Keira, she’s a mom now. I’m also a dad, so I can relate (Usually, I had these beauties done by the end of May). If you’re truly and deeply committed to raising your children, then you just don’t have the time you did in the life before them. She cranked out movies like Santa’s little workshop cranks out gifts, and she rocked some Chanel advertising and just really put herself out there. She said she desired a more private lifestyle since her family began, and it’s what she’s done. Another delightful little trait among many and that’s why she’ll always be relevant to my expectations.



#4 – Scarlett Johansson. From the very first time I saw Lost in Translation, I knew there was something special here. Even beyond the curves that we’re all familiar with, I believe that stardom was always something that Scar Jo was destined for. Even in years of relative obscurity, she’s still mentioned by many as one of the best looking girls around. Time has done nothing to harm her beauty, and we all might agree it’s even made her more so.  







#3 – Ariana Grande. I had a feeling that once I realized the talents of Ari, she was destined to reach the top of this list. She’s got the voice of a Whitney, the musical motivation that Michael Jackson was blessed with, and the beauty of a Jennifer Lopez. She’s hilarious on social media, doesn’t take herself too seriously, and knows what the pulse is on what America (maybe even the world) needs. Her appearance on SNL last season was my favorite of the year; Chloe will never be beat. There’s a really talented generation of people coming through, so the top spot will be daunting, but if she can do Christina Aguilera singing “The Wheels on the Bus”, she can play with the big girls.



#2 – Kate Upton. Breaks my heart, really. It’s kind of like going 73-9, crushing enemies out of the way like Knightley and Johansson, and then holding onto the top spot just long enough for a former Nate’s 9 rival to take it away. Wait, that’s been done before? She’s still the Steph Curry in the world of modeling for me, and I see no reason why things can’t be restored next year, but this year, the new #1 had a campaign for the ages. Hottest #2 ever, though.



#1 – Selena Gomez. I won’t be so bold as to say I saw this day coming from the TV Studio of Barney and Friends, but Selena has always been a threat, and this year it’s well deserved. The album was top notch, her life choices were smart and rewarding (essentially no Beebs), and that transition from youth to adult star was as seamless as any that I’ve ever seen. No one mentions the Disney anymore, but she’s kept it cleaner than her rivals, and it’s that class that I believe catapults her into my top spot for the first time and likely long reign in this position.



Ladies Dreams:

#9 – Mats Hummels. My favorite Dortmund player leaves for Bayern again. Munich just got a little prettier this time around.



#8 – Chris Pine. I always use to think it was Tom Hardy between these rivals. Guess I was wrong.


 
#7 – Enrique Iglesias. It’s ridiculous. Has anyone ever aged better?  






#6 – Shemar Moore. He’s never not made it.  





#5 – Dave Franco. Rookie of the Year. I think he breaks out in Hollywood too. 



#4 – Zac Efron. The other half. It’s too bad Adam Devine isn’t good looking and it could be a friendly trio for you all.






#3 – Chris Hemsworth. Those arms are good enough to make this list every year.



#2 – Cristiano Ronaldo. While my #1 fell out of the list completely, this guy just keeps on chucking off shirts and staying relevant. Can’t be mad at him.




#1 – Liam Hemsworth. Correcting another wrong. Took him off the list last year, but this kid has some chops. I think I was mad about Miley, but now it’s nothing but respect.


No comments:

Post a Comment