Monday, June 20, 2016

Last Songs to Listen to

I almost love music as much as sports. Almost. I haven't written in a while, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm sports'd out, or if that's what happens when - kids. While I was listening to my headphones the other day, I got inspired by the potential of this list. The two reasons are simple: 1. Because what person gets to listen to nine truly wonderful songs before passing on, and 2. Our hearing goes, so we're probably not going to enjoy them anyway. So I can create the list now, listen to it, and call it a day. It wasn't an easy blog to write (About 30 songs made it to final cuts) but, I couldn't leave any of these off. Each song made the list for different reasons; some for inspirational moments, others for the pure gift of music, and I would like to share them with you.

#9. The A Team - I thought Ed Sheeran was a Justin Timberlake copy cat when I heard his music for the first time. Not to say I didn't enjoy his music, but I thought it had already been done before. Cue moment when I purchased his prior album to X, + (sorry that's really what they're called). But + is wonderful, a real songwriter's masterpiece. And my favorite song on that album is the melancholy "The A Team". Real, beautiful, and lyrically very strong. Now I see why he's world renowned, he's one of my favorite artists, and this is easily the one I would take to my death bed (hospital room, vacation spot, airplane ride, whatever it might be).



#8. Always be my Baby - Mariah Carey's been a polarizing figure for a number of years, but once upon a time, most teenage boys were on her side, myself included. This music video I could watch over and over again,(to be that tire swing) and it's probably the only female version of a song I would be willing to do at Karaoke.  But my favorite part of the song, and the reason why it gets one final listen, is that lyrically it kinds of sounds like something a stalker might say - "No way, you're ever going to shake me, ooh Darling, cause you'll always be my baby." Imagine getting that sung to you from outside your bedroom window. Creepy!



#7. Hey Brother - Tim Bergling (Avicii) is my hero. I'm not sure any other artist has been able to take over the "anthem" style music and make it mainstream as seamless as he has. Most of his songs are great, but this song is part club thumper, part pop chart, and a dash of lift-me-up tempo. 3 of his songs made my preliminary list, which is impressive considering that other players with those numbers included: The Beatles and Pink Floyd.



#6. Seven Nations Army - The White Stripes make it to the football fields. Forever and ever this song will be intertwined with Penn State football after every first down and other significant play. Similar to Zombie Nation with about 1/2 of college sports. But this song was engineered at a much higher level. The chorus with the drums and symbols, and that riff! People will hum that riff for the rest of my days, I'm sure of it.



#5. When the Levee Breaks - I thought "Stairway to Heaven" and "Kashmir" were the greatest Led Zeppelin songs of all-time, and wasn't anything going to change that. Until I heard the intro of Levee. Sometimes I feel it was personally written for me. I love those soulful guitar sounds, especially with that down south feel to the lyrics. If I'm just going to be sitting on my rocking chair on the front porch drinking a little bit of that sweet lemonade with a sprinkle of vodka in it, well I could do a lot worse than having this song blaring from my headphones. Crying won't help me, praying will do me no good.



#4. Stay With Me - I have a cute little story I want to share. Once upon a time, I was sitting in my bedroom watching Saturday Night Live and the host of that's night show was a favorite of mine: Louis C.K. He's painstakingly hilarious, and he was on a roll that night. Then all of a sudden, something name Sam Smith was about to sing. I was like, "What the Fuck is a Sam Smith?" Even Louis was probably thinking, "yikes." I must say, I usually unearth the new greats, long before they hit the mainstream market (Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z, Bruno Mars, etc). Nobody makes it to the SNL stage before they go through the difficult markets in the sounds of music. It's Rihanna, or Carrie Underwood, or Adele, and the aforementioned Bruno Mars. Then, this. I bought his album the very next day.



#3. M.A.A.D. City - Rap is where my heart is. While only 1 song makes the final songs that I want to hear in this lifetime, I truly enjoy It more than any other style of music. It has heart, passion, power. But for all of those gifts, the songs really haven't affected my life to the point where I need to hear them one last time. Except for this one. It's pretty much combined the greatest sounds of hip-hop from the new generation of stars, and matched it up with the sounds that I grew up with in the 1990's. A lot of nostalgia, and a little bit of marketing power turned this song into a bullet train for me. The lyrics are great, the engineering superb, he tells a story that probably rings true in south central Los Angeles, and he does it with his own style and grace. I could hear it once more in my final days.


#2. Miracles - Another surprise similar to Sam Smith's vocal gifts, but this time in a  different way. I've always liked Jefferson Airplane… but more for their sounds like "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit". It's vintage 1960's and 70's, and really clues me in as to what that generation enjoyed and how they grooved. Those were really the only songs I listened to from them, for the longest time, and I really stumbled into Jefferson Starship. It felt soft, more contemporary even, which I like, but isn't really a style of music that I believed would generate one of my favorite songs of all-time. I just sort of previewed all of their greatest hits on Itunes, thinking this will be quick, maybe I'll find a goodie since I have the money to spend. And I found Miracles. Miracles is the love song that defines the love I have for my wife and by which all other love songs are measured. And then some. The odds of us coming together already was slim as neither of us were really destined to go to North Hennepin. A long line of "Miracles" really pushed our stars together. Anyway, this is 7 minutes of heaven. A little sexual, certainly, but if we can't be true to ourselves… The only reason it's not the last song I'd wish to listen to is because I'm an optimistic child at heart.




#1. High Hopes - Which is exactly what this song is about. Since I dove into the world that is Pink Floyd, I've found many wonderful gems that could've made this list, or any musical list for that matter. While I feel like that intro solo in Levee was made specifically for my ears, it's these lyrics, this sound, the band and the generation that came together to create a song as beautiful as this one. I'm in love with the 60's (I feel it's one of the world's best generations or at least the most influential. They dealt with a lot of BS during these turbulent times), and I love how England grew from the post-World War reconstruction to the global and respectable power that came from their love for music and all their brilliant bands that came from this generation of youth. In any case, it's as sweet as it is simple. A song about our youth and how quickly we wanted to become adults, only to realize that our best years were when we were young. With the greatest 2 minute guitar solo at the end. Play me away, Gilmour.


No comments:

Post a Comment