Tuesday, April 22, 2014

All-Time Batting Line-Up

                                                          Nate’s 9: All-Time Baseball Line-Up

Without a DH of course, because that wouldn't be fair.  I've always been intrigued by baseball numbers and statistics. Even more than that, I love the history and personalities of baseball and its players.  This blog post appeared easy at first sit-down; the final result was a different story.  (I've been sitting here for about two hours now).  Anyway, the players will have had to play the positions; otherwise the rules are pretty relaxed.  Baseball fans enjoy!

Note:  Usually I count down from 9 as it makes more sense for suspense and things of that nature.  This time it makes more sense to start from the top of the line-up.  You, the reader can feel free to make the 9th batter (the pitcher) choice as suspenseful as you’d like.

Leading off...

1. OF Rickey Henderson.  This was easy.  He’s one of my favorite players of all-time and was tailor made to lead off for any great baseball team. (This is assuming my team would be great.)  He does all of the little things at bat, and isn't a slouch in the outfield.  A hot dog, maybe, but there’s no one else I’d rather have in this spot.

2. OF Darin Erstad. I’m just kidding, but did you know that he is really ranked in the top 500 baseball players of all-time?  (In WAR) Interesting, but true.  In any case...

2. 3B Jackie Robinson.  Well this is how I see it... for as much as I need the Henderson personality type on my team; I also need the low-key, humble athlete that isn't afraid to steal home.  There’s probably only one.  Jackie would be great for the locker room, and man, would he help this team win.  Can’t think of a better one-two then this pair. Beyond that, I really can’t think of any third baseman I liked, second base was rather crowded, and he did it (3B) for five seasons...

3. OF Barry Bonds.  He might clash with Rickey Henderson a little bit, but as long as I have someone in between them in CF, I might get away with it.  Besides, with those two table setters above him, there is no way Barry is going to be intentionally walked, which means I get to see him hit.  I know all about the ‘roids and anger issues, but come on!  If this man wasn’t walked 2,558 times in his career; the numbers we could’ve seen! We have a bit of a short memory, but he only hit 50 homeruns once. (73). Even if he didn’t use, it’s probably still about 650-700 homeruns in his career.  I’ll take it.

4. 1B Lou Gehrig.  Even if I don’t need a little luck, I may as well take the guy who considers himself the luckiest ever.  A pro’s pro, and I feel like I could use a few guys whose egos weren’t as high as their slugging percentage.  The perfect clean-up hitter in any case, because he was familiar with hitting behind the best player of his day, so why not keep him comfortable.

5. OF Stan Musial.  I debated over this spot more than any of the other ones.  Not only the position in the line-up, but also who I would put here.  It could’ve come down to DiMaggio, Mantle, Mays, Ruth (Henderson moves to CF), Clemente, Puckett, and many others.  But looking back on Stan’s career, the dude could just hit.  He hit, and he knocked in runs.  I’m not sure that I can really ask for more than that from the #5 spot.  Plus, he was above average on defense, and could handle the beasts that are Bonds and Henderson.

6. C Joe Mauer.  Probably what many may consider to be the most ridiculous of all my picks, especially when I had many other catchers to choose from.  But he is a quality pick for 2 reasons.  First, he isn’t awful in 2 strike counts.  Assuming that great line-ups would play other people’s great line-ups, he would probably be facing a lot of your pitchers that could get the ball over the plate.  Second, he is probably the best contact hitter at catcher of all-time.  The guy hits around .340 when fully healthy and motivated.  No other catcher has ever done that.  I’m fine with this pick.

7. SS Barry Larkin.  For years, I had preferred Ozzie Smith and Cal Ripken Jr. to Barry.  He was so quiet, and the media never really gave us anything on him.  Yet, take a look back to his game and he truly is one of the greats.  He did everything well.  Played the field, ran the bases, hit for average, won a championship.  I think that he would quietly be the leader of this team, and would have no problem hitting 7th.  Ozzie’s bat wouldn’t allow for it, and although Cal would play every day, the leadership is what gets me.  Barry wins.

8. 2B Bill Mazeroski.  I went in thinking it would be either Rogers Hornsby or Chuck Knoblauch.  Knoblauch, because for as much as his... douchyness, he was a great player, and stepped up in the big moments.  Except for when getting hit by batteries.  Hornsby was the best in his day, but Mazeroski was better in the field and would make a great double play pairing with Larkin.  Plus, I can probably get away with hitting him 8th.  He never topped 20 home runs, and his career batting average was .260.  But if it was the bottom of the 9th in a World Series game and I needed a home run?  It’s nice when you know that they’ve been there before.

9. P Mariano Rivera.  I know he can’t hit, and I know he won’t give me 9 innings, but if this was just a 3 inning game, no team would be able to bat around.  Once he figured out his pitch, he was probably the most difficult pitcher to hit off of in the history of modern baseball (1950 and up I’d say). I never saw Sandy Koufax or Tom Seaver, and I know Doc Gooden and Roger Clemens were filthy, but that fastball was so dirty, I needed a bath after watching it.  He could definitely compete against anyone’s order, and with options like above, all I need is someone that would give me a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment