Saturday, January 4, 2014

New Year's Resolutions


Nate’s 9: New Year’s Resolutions

                I don’t think I can actually come up with 9 of them that I could stay true too, but it wouldn’t be a decent blog post without the attempt to do so.  I actually only have 1 or 2 of them that I expect to follow, but wouldn’t it be fun to give all 9 a shot?  Happy New Year to everyone!

#9. Say Hello whenever eye contact is made. I always feel awkward and maybe it’s a part of my social insecurities, but I have a hard time saying hello to total strangers.  You never know when it might make someone’s day though, or lift them through a tough spell, and I think that it’s worth the try.

#8. Drink less pop.  This is going to be a very hard one for me, and probably a resolution that I won’t be able to stick to, but I think I would be a lot healthier and just feel better about myself if I can do so.  I love pop, but I probably don’t need it.

#7. Quality time with my wife.  We all get so caught up lately in social media and the news and the most recent of current events, and I feel like it cuts into people’s family time.  I know I am at fault for many of these things, as I like to peek at Twitter and Facebook during or after dinner.  Media isn’t going anywhere, and I think ten solid minutes with your significant other is a great idea.

#6. Stick to my goal of neutrality in sports.  I love my teams almost as much as anything, but I really, really want to beat this thing.  I enjoy sports of all shapes and sizes, and I want to master the knowledge of what sports really are.  It’s beyond even passion and the experience of the games.  I want to see it in the same way that the all-time greats do.

#5. Keep my body in good health.  I know that people always say that metabolism’s slow down the further into age we go, but I really want to beat the odds and keep a healthy weight into my 40’s. I still do the weights and the summer exercise, but I want to try the healthy eating and change some other dietary habits as well.

#4. Prepare my Career path.  I enjoy what I do and who I work with, but my one regret is not participating in a career of sports as I get into my 30’s.  In high school, I was convinced that I would already be there, and I think it’s time to give it more of an effort.

#3. A Family vacation.  We need it.  So bad.  Just somewhere fun and something all the kids can enjoy for a few days.

#2. Dominate the reading.  I feel like I read enough, but sometimes I don’t enjoy my quality of reading.  Too much Sports Illustrated, and not enough great literature.  I want to read some books this year that change my outlooks on life, and introduce me to some of the greatest works of literature art.

#1.  Build Aiden’s self-confidence up.  This is something that I struggled with mightily in my youth, and sometimes even today.  It seems so easy; just to have complete faith in oneself.  But I know how hard it can be, and I am beginning to see the difficulties that Aiden deals with in social situations.  He’s a shy kid, and I think he wishes he can be outgoing and friendly, and I would like to help him get there.  This is probably my one true resolution, and without a doubt the most difficult.  Accomplishment will be a great reward for my commitment to helping my son learn and grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment