Monday, December 14, 2015

Favorite Cereals


                                                                   Nate's 9 Cereals

Well, I thought about doing all kinds of food categories like meats, candy bars, fruits, etc. Nothing sounded interesting until I thought about my favorite breakfast cereals. I've probably had over 50 different kinds since I was a young child, but understandably so, most of my favorites deal with the sugar variety. Let us not waste any more time. Hope everyone had a great Christmas, and receive great health and blessings as we start the new year. 

 

#9.  Cookie Crisp. I had a difficult time thinking of what my 9th was going to be before I thought of this delectable little treat. I didn't even have it on my original list of cereals, because it's no longer carried at the grocery store that I shop at.  But once I remembered the criminal that always tried to steal the kid's Cookie Crisp in the commercial, I know that this one belonged in my 9.

 

#8. Honey Nut Cheerios. I feel bad that I'm going to leave Cheerios out of the list, because it's pretty much a staple of American breakfasts since my time of youth, and it's also a great snack item for almost any occasion. It's only problem was that it didn't get me excited, because all it offered was the grain. Enter, honey nut. The sweet taste of knowing you were eating a heathy option, but getting a little bit of the flavor necessary to make it one of the all-time greats. I could go for some right now.

 

#7. French Toast Crunch. While I've always enjoyed Cinnamon Toast Crunch and it got some serious consideration for this list as well, when they introduced the cousin FTC, I was hooked immediately. I've always enjoyed French toast in general; it was one of my favorite breakfast options while I was living in Europe. (For as good as Belgian Waffles are, it doesn't hold a candle to the German apple French toast that I had while I was there). So when I came back and saw a cereal available that had miniature versions of my favorite breakfast item, I couldn't get enough of it. Still can't.

 

#6. Lucky Charms. I couldn't imagine a cereal list that didn't have a marshmallow option available.  This one has always been fun for me because depending on the amount and which types of marshmallows that one gets, can result in a different color of "milk finish" every time. Red, green, blue were probably the most common options. For as good as the cereal was though, Lucky Charms will always be remembered to me as the cute little leprechaun from the commercials that always got his "lucky charms" taken away by the children. For years, I wanted to be one of those kids. They always got away with those lucky charms, and I hear they're magically delicious.

 

#5. Fruit Loops. I still remember the days of Fruit Loops when it was just red, orange and yellow. I thought they were kind of boring, and I wondered why we couldn't get the entire taste of the rainbow. Low and behold, green, blue and purple became available (I wonder if this was part of their master plan to keep Fruit Loops relevant over the next thirty years). In any case, they don't really have a fruity taste to them, it just tastes like sugared up cereal, but when was that ever such a bad thing?

 

#4. Cocoa Puffs. The best chocolate cereal ever created. Which is saying something considering that there are about a half dozen options available in that flavor. Cocoa Puffs takes the cake for three reasons. First, they had a cuckoo bird for a mascot. Puns everywhere. Second, it was chocolate flavored kix. And Kix were for kids. Finally, the residue that it left in the milk was like your very own glass of chocolate milk after a nutritious breakfast. Not sure that can be beat.

 

#3. Golden Crisp.  For a long time, this was my number one choice.  It holds a high sentimental value for me as it reminds me of all the great breakfast conversations growing up as a kid. I think everyone in my family enjoyed a bowl of Golden Crisp in the morning. It was just sugar slathered over a grain oval, but boy did it do wonders. I could eat an entire box before the sun rose for the next morning.

 

#2. Cap'n Crunch Berries. A fruit cereal that had a relative flavor of fruit in it. The berries are oh so delicious and the corn biscuits have some good flavor as well. The makers of Captain Crunch have really affected the market over the years. While I always enjoyed a bowl of the original and it could have made the list on its own merit, the addition of berries made it phenomenal. Then, Oops All Berries was introduced to the market, and I just couldn't gather up the courage to keep eating it. It's almost too much of a good thing, but as an accomplice to the main character, this cereal is almost the Greatest of all Time.

 

#1 Apple Jacks. It doesn't taste like apples. Doesn't matter, whatever those hints of flavors really were, created the singular greatest flavor of grain ever introduced to the breakfast market. They've also done some interesting things like added the green grain to the oranges to give the cereal a multiple color look, but this is an item that never needed a change in all its years on the market. This is also the only cereal who's advertising prowess matched that of the cereal flavor. When we were kids, A was for Apple and J was for Jacks. Then during our teenage years, we were able to "eat what we like". Now as an adult, I enjoy the playful competition between the Jamaican sounding CinnaMon and the American stereotyped Bad Apple. Just like the top of this list, Apple Jacks has always been winning in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment