Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Aiden William

Nate’s Nine: Aiden

I’m going to take a little time out from sports – okay, I’d never actually take a time out from sports, but I’m going to put them on the back burner for just a couple of days while I change up the blogging topics for a little bit.  A wise person once told me that life’s pace doesn’t pick up until the moment you have children.  They were 110% right, and I feel like Aiden’s 4 ½ years have flashed right past me.  He’s going to be going to kindergarten in less than 10 months which is absolutely crazy since I can still remember being at the hospital getting my last good night of sleep that I have ever had.  Well, about 2 weeks ago my creative juices started flowing and I decided that I would write 3 blogs to the boys I love the most, Aiden, Lucas and Logan. (ALL) For better or for worse, every minute of every day since I’ve had them have been an absolute blessing and I wouldn’t trade any of these days for extra years on this planet.  So with no regard for the positive or negative, here are the 9 character traits of Aiden that I believe have influenced me most as a father.

#9 – Quarrelsome.  This should be his #1, because he’s so good at it.  I think Aiden thrives in an environment in which he can challenge the authority.  It irritates me to no end, but I think deep down I am indebted that he doesn’t put up with the status quo.  Although there are times when I believe he needs to back down because as a parent there are things that you can not just let them do, his argumentative points of view make me rethink my parenting techniques, which I believe is a good thing.

#8 – Independent.  He already just goes to the mailbox if he realizes that the mailman has come.  He doesn’t latch on to me at pre-school unlike 50% of the other children in the class.  While I think there should always be limits, he has done a great job making the most of the long leash that he has been given.  When we go bike riding, he never goes further than any city block without waiting for the boys, wife and I to catch up.  I’m not saying that he’s planning on academics overseas, but for now, I am very impressed with his decision making on freedom as a four year old.

#7 – Conversational.  The first time he meets someone, he’s withdrawn and quiet.  Not because I think he’s shy, but he just doesn’t know how to interact with adults.  But the second time... Sara fears that Aiden wouldn’t do well if I would take him on a long road trip.  I think it’s a false representation of my son.  As long as I didn’t refuse him communication, he would be more than fine. He’s as chatty as a gossip group after a long weekend, and I think it will bode well for him as he begins his educational livelihood.

#6 – Responsible.  As much as any four year old can be.  He doesn’t do a great job with chores or the brushing of teeth or putting his dishes in the sink, but when it comes to his brothers and any social situation, I couldn’t ask for anything better.  He enforces the rule that they either hold my or his hand when we cross streets or walk through parking lots.  He makes them say thank you whenever I reward them with a treat.  He reminds them to put on their hats and mittens before we go outside.  I’ve already told him that I think he’ll make a great parent someday, and this reiterates the fact of why I believe so.

#5 – Strategic.  He’s smarter than he realizes.  When he wants something he already knows to formulate a plot in which all sides can look good.  For example, this morning.  After breakfast, Aiden wanted a treat.  He knew that I was going to turn him down, as I don’t do treats in the morning.  He told me that he would get his clothes and boots on right away, if I would just let him have one treat.  While I don’t care to reward this type of behavior, because it’s the type of crap he should be doing anyway, he still earns the treat because he’s learning the lesson of how to achieve success for all sides of the equation.

#4 – Creative.  While I didn’t receive my sports superstar with this one, nor did I get a child with a passion for reading, I most certainly have a son that utilizes his creativity to the fullest.  He takes good pictures already with his leap pad and can already deduce what is a good background, where he needs to get light, etc.  He can color for an hour and already handles scissors like someone who’s been to school for years.  This week, he’s spent most of his free time making flags, and understands that they have different symbols and they need to be shaped like a rectangle with a handle.  It’s quite impressive, and I hope he continues to harness this talent in the future.

#3 – Imaginative.  When I was younger, my good friend and I used to create super heroes, villains, and a world in which they did battle for good vs. evil.  Aiden is well on his way to those same conceptions.  We own about 150 hot wheels, and Aiden’s idea of fun is to put them all on the coffee table and create traffic jams in which the cars must be smart enough to know how to get out of the circumstances.  His imaginative friend has been developed so judiciously that she has a family, a house (in 3 different locations) and tells Aiden when to tell me no.  I imagine that she’ll go away soon, but hopefully because his imagination continues to run wild.

#2 – Structure.  Never have I met a child that needs more structure and routine in his life.  The reason that I think he struggles with doing chores and brushing his teeth among other things, is that we never put him on that routine.  But for things like breakfast immediately after waking and shampooing in the shower, he’s always done really well getting those things done quickly.  He’s done really well with teams and individual sports too because he does the same thing at relatively the same time.  He tells me how to put on his soccer uniform (shin guards first, dad) and we had also put him in swimming lessons right after he turned 3 and he had a difficult first time in the class.  Then by the end, he was committed to it without my help.  He’d grab his swim trunks, told me to watch from the same seat, and always dunk his head right up to his nose.  While I hope he isn't content with a life at an office desk, there’s no doubt in my mind he wouldn’t have it down two days after his first shift.

#1 – Diversity.  My favorite thing about Aiden.  He can do the sports thing.  He can do the art thing.  He can do the music thing. He can do the playground thing.  He can sit in a movie theater for two hours.  Diversity in activities is probably one of my biggest weaknesses, but Aiden has thrived in just about every setting that we’ve put him in.  By no means am I saying he’s the best athlete (he’s not) or the best dancer (he’s not), or the greatest artist (he’s not) but the effort that he puts into everything is inimitable and it’s one of my most proud moments as a father.

No comments:

Post a Comment