Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cities I've Never Visited

Nate’s 9: Cities I’ve Never Visited

         

 And of course, by that I mean cities that I would like to see.  Not just a list of cities I’ve never visited.  Because technically, Gary, Indiana could be at the top of the list.  It is culturally significant after all.

#9 – Paris, France.  I think deep down I don’t really want to go here, but I almost feel like I have to.  I feel like I might get short-changed in life if I don’t at least give a little of my time to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and that cute little café shop from the Windows 7 commercial a few years back.  And now that PSG is a world power, I suppose a stop-in at the Parc des Princes wouldn’t hurt either. I mean if Kanye can’t stop talking about it...

#8 – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  Before I purchased Time Magazine’s most wonderful architectural magazine a few years ago, I didn’t even know that Kuala Lumpur existed.  I only knew Malaysia for being from the Far East and a place that I would probably never encounter.  But since I’ve seen those towers... one of my biggest fear is that of height, and I know that I would be very anxious if I were to ever tour the Petronas Towers. Yet, I feel that if I am ever able to visit this lovely city and walk across the tall beam however many stories high, that my fear would be absolutely gone.  That is worth a visit.


#7 – Beijing, China.  Nothing fascinates me more than that of our world history.  For the opportunity to be able to see and hear about the Ming and Qing dynasties would be simply incredible.  These are people that did so much to shape the history of that continent and you can still see pieces of their influence today.  On top of that, I have an attraction to cities that previously hosted Olympic Games, and Beijing was able to put on a show for the Summer Games back in 2008 (gasp!). I know that they kept most of the facilities used for the games, and I would love to be able to see how they progressed from the World’s greatest sporting get-together.

#6 – Kiev, Ukraine.  Ever since I lived in Germany, and spent a year learning about the after effects of the Second World War, I have had a fixation with the cultures of Eastern Europe.  Pretty much Russia, (and probably France, England and the US as well) created borders without any thought for cultural, religious and political differences and wham bam, we had resolution.  But it wasn’t really fair.  The Czech Republic is nothing like Slovakia, just as Serbia is nothing like Croatia.  Yet for years, people had to live under the same rule whether they wanted to or not.  Enough with the history lesson though.  I would like to see most of the former USSR, but my favorite cultural city was probably the capital of the Ukrainians which has a great history in Churches and the Arts.

#5 – Rio, Brazil.  In a different lifetime, it probably all would’ve come together beautifully.  In about a week, Rio will become host to what has become my favorite event, the World Cup.  FIFA has decided to make a bucket list goal very difficult for me, by putting the next two Cups in Russia and Qatar, respectively.  By the time 2026 rolls around, I will be 45 years old and without the young, springy legs that could take me around an event as exciting as this.  Beyond that, Rio has the Carnival, the Olympics and Oceanside beaches that would make any visit a must.  This would’ve been the year to do it, but Rio still awaits.

#4 – New Orleans, Louisiana.  Even beyond the Mardi Gras, I have always been interested in traveling to New Orleans.  Talk about a rich history that is nothing like the rest of the country.  Everyone that I have talked to that’s traveled to New Orleans has said that it’s like going to a different part of the world without having to leave the US.  I find the French Quarter very appealing, of course Canal St. that leads right up to the river with all of its bars and great eating, and I even want to see the Super Dome.  There must be a reason that the NFL has picked this city 10 times and I would like to find out why.

#3 – Istanbul, Turkey. Ever since I met the lovely people from Turkey that migrated to Germany while I was an exchange student have I wanted to visit their capital city.  Rich in history and architecture, there is so much to see and do there, that I don’t think it could be done on a single trip.  First, I have never experienced a Turkish bath, but I think as a father it would go down as one of the great wonders of the world.  It is described as reaching “full relaxation”. I haven’t been fully relaxed since March 7, 2010.  Second, the Grand Bazaar.  I imagine only London or Tokyo comes close to the amount of shops that Istanbul have along this stretch of land.  Third, the Blue Mosque which to me is kind of the iconic symbol for the city of Istanbul.  It’s the first image that I conjure up when I think about this diverse city.  Finally, the bridge that interlinks the Europe with Asia.  I think it’s pretty sweet that there are signs saying “Welcome to Asia” & “Welcome to Europe” like it’s no big deal.  A city that shares two significant cultures and geographical boundaries is awesome in my book!

#2 – Toronto, Canada.  I would have never considered this city in years past.  I just thought it was the “Minneapolis of the North”.  Our climates are similar, both communities are obsessed with hockey, and we each possess one of the World’s great Universities. (http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013). Yet, when I heard that it’s the most polite city in the world, it had me curious.  I know Canada already has that reputation, but you think it’s more limited to the rural or suburban stretches of land.  I’m impressed that the most populated city is also thought of in such high regard.  The best part for me though is that it’s very family friendly with a large number of parks and places to take children to like the Toronto Islands.  Plus the Niagara Falls is only a two hour drive away, which I’ve always wanted to see.  Between the Toronto Zoo, the Casa Loma and CN Tower, Toronto seems like the place in Canada to see.





#1 – New York, New York.  So the saying goes, so great you gotta say it twice. It’s hard to believe that I’ve never been, but life hasn’t given me many opportunities to see the great city.  Anytime that I was in Pennsylvania, I was too young to understand the significance and value in seeing a city like New York.  Now that I can appreciate it more, life has kept me from traveling freely.  I know that it takes a month to do the entire city, but I have already made outlines for the times and places that I would like to go.  I need to be there during the NFL draft.  I have to have a day to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame. I have to see Yankee stadium, the Garden, the Rockefeller Center, the Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, Long Island, Central Park, Times Square, The Empire State building, the Museum of Modern Art, Coney Island, a Broadway show, Grand Central Station, the Guggenheim, the Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island, the Verrazano Bridge, and of course – Ground Zero.  Anything beyond that would be considered a bonus.  In all seriousness though, I think New York calls for multiple trips and I would definitely like to make it a family favorite for places that we want to go.  I haven’t even stepped foot on their soil yet, but I already know that it’s where I belong.

1 comment:

  1. What a rich variety, and great reasons to want to go to each city! You can get those knees fixed. Loved the comment about the last time you were relaxed. Just think - - - in about 20 years you can relax again!

    ReplyDelete