Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Nate’s 9: Favorite Manchester United Players 1997-2014

Nate’s 9: Favorite Manchester United Players 1997-2014

            This is clearly an era that is getting close to its end this weekend.  Manchester United players that I have been following since soccer started airing here in the states are saying goodbye to the club for the last time.  It’s tough.  I too plan on saying goodbye, albeit in a different way.  The amount of passion and enthusiasm that I have given has been a big part of my life for almost 20 years now, and I have no regrets.  Hell, if I can’t take the fandom out of it, I’ll be cheering just as hard again and care just as much that 3rd weekend in August. 

Sitting down and choosing my 9 favorite players is a next to impossible task, because there have been so many that I've been proud to see in my favorite kit.  But for the effort that they have given the great club of Manchester United, I’m about to sit down here and try.

X – Two players that were never going to make my nine, but I just want to give a quick shout-out to two of the most shrewd signings that Sir Alex ever made – Alan Smith and Michael Owen.  I enjoyed both of them for their careers prior to playing for Manchester United, and I will never forget Owen’s goal at the end of the Utd-City Derby that sent us into raptures that I haven’t experienced before or since.  It was one of the greatest games I've ever seen.  Alan Smith’s career essentially ended the day he broke his leg against Liverpool, but he was an all-effort guy and I really believe he would've had a great United career if he had been able to avoid such unfortunate circumstances.

XI – I saw Eric Cantona play one time.  Now I have no doubt he’d be at the top of my list if exposure had come to the U.S. sooner, but his style of play and temperament are of legendary status and I’m glad I was able to see him for that one game. I, of course have seen the chip since, and it’s definitely in my top nine goals...

#9 – Cristiano Ronaldo.  To be honest, I really didn't like him at first.  He had an arrogance (had?) problem, and I think he was more concerned with pulling off tricks then by scoring goals and winning games. But by the end, I was really sad to see him go.  He’s probably the only player on this list, or was even considered that really isn't United through and through, but we were such a nightmare to play against when he was in the line-up and on his day.  He single handedly carried United through some games and even some seasons, and he was able to rebound nicely from encouraging the referee to send off Rooney in the 2006 World Cup (He deserved it though).  I must like him enough though, a small part of me was excited that he scored twice against United in last year’s Champions League, but he did handle it with more humility than I ever thought he could muster. 

#8 – Ruud Van Nistelrooy.  To be honest, I probably loved him a little too much.  Seeing him go was still probably my least favorite feeling as a United fan, even though we replaced him with Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, eventually Tevez and won 5 of 7 Premier league seasons.  He was probably one of the best snipers that the current generation has ever seen.  He could make a goal out of just about absolutely nothing, and had the striker’s ego, which I believe is also a key component of a player that can be described as one of the world’s best.  Although it seems that most players have a fallen out with Sir Alex have to take most of the blame, this was one of the few situations where I sided with the player.  Alex wanted him out for the young guys.  I still miss him.


#7 – Paul Scholes. I loved it when his name was in the starting 11.  My favorite United style of play is that of high passing percentage and up the pitch possession.  I can’t think of another player to wear the shirt that partook in this particular style with the grace and elegance of one Paul Scholes.  Even Xavi and Andres Ineista expressed their joy at watching Scholes play, and they probably took that style to an entire new level.  Anyway, here is a player that just loved playing for United.  He retired from England at 30.  His name was literally never linked away with another world club.  He scored with his fist! (although subsequently got sent off). And he knew exactly what he was doing when he went in with all those clumsy hard challenges that got him sent off so frequently throughout his career.  He had that perfect balance between finesse and aggression. 


#6 – Peter Schmeichel. I will argue this to my death, but I think he’s far and away the greatest goalkeeper from my young generation.  With respect to Gianluigi Buffon, Oliver Kahn, and Jose Chilavert, he made every team he was a part of instantly better, and I think players feared rather than relished one-on-one situations when faced with Schmeichel.  Of course 1999 was his greatest year, and he led us out in the Champions League Final against Bayern Munich.  I only wish that I had seen him a little earlier during his peak years with both United and Denmark.



#5 – Nemanja Vidic.  One half of the greatest CB partnership that I have ever seen.  I remember the gaping hole that was left in our defense when Jaap Stam had his fallen out with Sir Alex and was sent to Lazio.  We tried to fill it with Mikael Silvestre, Laurent Blanc, Gabriel Heinze, Wes Brown, John O’Shea and while they were all good, we still had a hard time competing for Premiership titles as well as in Europe without someone to partner Rio.  Then a January purchase for a Spartak Moscow centre back changed everything.  I didn’t know much about him at the time, other than that we had signed a player that had evidently already agreed to a contract with Fiorentina in Italy.  We had a huge hole in defense by that time, as Gabby when down for the season and Kieran Richardson and O’Shea were the left side of our defense.  Well Vidic and Patrice Evra came in, and we won titles.  Some of his best years with the club, I don’t believe any striker could better him.  He and Rio are pretty much the only reason that they had to sell Gerard Pique, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

#4 – Rio Ferdinand.  The other half.  That’s what makes this year so difficult.  Not only were United not challenging for trophies, but they were doing it in the last season of most of these great players careers with United.  I think Rio is one of the greatest CB’s the world has ever seen and along with Marcel Desailly the other central defender I would want in my World 11 squad.  He was so calm and composed and always in position to make a play during the prime of his career.  Then, in certain situations he could come forward and score a goal as well.  Two of my favorite United goals of all-time have come from this man.  To sum it up, I can say that I have been quite blessed as a United fan to have had Rio and Vidic partnering together for 8 years.  There weren’t any other players in the world that I would have preferred otherwise, and I think it’s fitting that their last season with United was also their last season together.



#3 – Ryan Giggs. Tearing you apart, definitely. For all of his personal issues, there has been a comfort in knowing that he has been in the line-up every single year from the time that I was in elementary school.  His pace, dribbling and crossing skills have probably been the best that United has seen, since the days of George Best.  For as good as Cristiano is, Giggs could deliver a ball too.  He has won so much along with these other guys, and I think that it’s his work ethic and desire to be great that has kept him going for so long.  I’m still 9 years younger than he is and my knees hurt, my back is sore, my feet swell and my joints kill, so I can’t imagine what it feels like for him.  There are always going to be the great moments:  The Arsenal goal, the Juventus goal, that penalty, and the goal against Everton which put him at 23 seasons in which he had scored a 1st division goal.  And all that was great.  But the reason that I enjoyed him for so much more than that were the moments that he’ll never know.  Changing the #11(eleven) to renaming it Giggs. Naming one of my children “Giggs”.  Knowing people that have named their sons Ryan, in his honor.  Becoming my 2nd favorite Manchester United manager of all-time.  Being the 1st player I ever named on my infamous World 11.  All of that.



#2 – Roy Keane.  This was hard.  Sometimes I feel like Keane should be 3 and Giggs should be 2.  I only had about 7 of Keane’s years, because of another rift with the great Sir Alex.  I think that he could have continued excelling at Manchester United and I think that United could’ve won more, if they could have just moved past their differences.  For from the time he left, it took the luck of finding an Edwin van der Sar and the improvement of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano to really get this team back to the level that they used to be.  I still think they were a tad short at the end of the day.  And it pretty much correlates to the leadership and skill set of one Roy Keane.  He was an absolute monster in the mid-field.  And he could do everything. He could tackle, pass, score, run, jump, dribble, and connect defense to attack.  He is probably the only true box-to-box that I have ever seen in all the years of watching soccer.  (Andrea Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi are close though).  He was an asshole, and his tackle against Alf Haaland was unjustifiable, but United needed an asshole to help out David Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Neville and the like.  We had great players.  But he was the one that brought out the best in them.  The real Captain Fantastic, and a true United legend.


#1 – Wayne Rooney.  Probably not what everyone expected, but there is a story behind it.  Growing up, I was a huge fan of the NFL.  Football was what I breathed, dreamed, ate, you name it.  I started playing Tecmo Bowl when I was 6 years old, and fantasy football when I turned 13.  It was my thing.  We actually used to make fun of soccer players whenever we came in contact with one.  Lawn fairies, entertainers, actors, the whole nine.  Then, one night.  Everton was playing Arsenal in late October and Arsenal was leading the Premier league.  My poor United just couldn’t seem to catch them, and they (Arsenal) had already won the title the year before.  They had Henry.  They had Bergkamp.  I was getting to the point where I was enjoying soccer, but I knew that it was still #2.  David Moyes (yep, same guy), sends on a 16 year old.  And the rest they say is history.  For all of his inconsistencies and foul language and motivational indifference, I still am enthralled by his style of play.  When he is on, he will harass you around the entire pitch.  He can score from anywhere on the field (right, West Ham?) He will bully you. He is tantalizing.  So he comes on as a 16 year old, gets himself right in the middle of the game, takes a touch and blasts it over the outstretched hands of one David Seaman.  In the 90th minute.  Against a team that hadn’t lost in 30 games.  That were on top of the league.  That one moment made me fall in love with a sport that will be with me for the rest of my life, will never yield its position as my favorite sport, and I owe it all to this guy.   


No comments:

Post a Comment