Monday, November 11, 2013

Nate's 9: NBA Season Starters


Nate’s 9

                My thoughts on the beginning of the NBA season so far…

#9. The Timberwolves have proved me wrong.  I thought signing Kevin Martin instead of OJ Mayo would be the absolute wrong thing to do.  Early signs put to Martin being a steal for the Timberwolves.  Which now begs the question: why did the Wolves draft Shabazz Muhammad?

#8. Indiana is real, and I may have been one of the few that wouldn't have been surprised if they had beaten Miami to get to the finals.  They have great depth, a bona fide superstar in Paul George, and believe they can win every night.  While I may have said that Chicago is likely Miami’s greatest challenger come playoff time, the Pacers are right in the mix.

#7. The Wizards should start thinking about trading John Wall.  For whatever reason, he hasn't hit the level that a Chris Paul and a Kyrie Irving have in his first few seasons in Washington.  Whatever the problem, his value remains high, and a team like the Lakers or Houston could be very interested.  I know there is still another year on the deal, but maybe they try and get a number of first round picks and build around Beal and Porter instead.

#6. Speaking of the L.A. Lakers, it might be time to start thinking about the future.  The trade for Howard didn’t come through the way they planned, but that might not be a bad thing.  If the Lakers can somehow get into the lottery, the future may not be that far away.

#5. I thought Derrick Rose would be fantastic.  Not to say that I haven’t been impressed with his performance up to date, but he has looked a little rusty in a number of games already this season.  Chicago does have the talent to let him come back at his own pace, but to reach the top, he needs to match the expectations I had for him. 

#4. James Harden is still a beast, but Houston isn’t playing through him like I thought they would.  I have only seen the Rockets twice, but it appears that they want to win inside the post rather than the perimeter.  I like the pairing of Howard and Asik though, so their thinking may benefit this season.

#3. Miami will get there when it matters.  I know it seems like they have started rather slow, but as long as they don’t lose any of the big 3 to a significant injury, they can win on any court at any time.  The number 1 seed isn’t necessary for the Miami Heat to return to the finals for the 4th consecutive season. 

#2. Golden State could lock up the #1 seed in the western conference.  After years of underachieving and continuously missing on their top draft picks, these last 3 seasons have reaped the benefits of getting high draft choices correct.  They are one of the most difficult teams in the league to defend, and can score from just about anywhere on the floor.  My only concern for them is health; Harrison Barnes and Steph Curry have already missed games to injury.  If they can win 58+, they could lock up that #1 spot in the competitive west.

#1. The Clippers are not my favorite team this season. I am a huge fan of both Chris Paul and Doc Rivers, but putting these two together was an intriguing, yet unrealistic idea.  It’s a move that I don’t think is going to pan out because of Rivers’ valuation on the defensive side of the ball.  The Boston team was perfect for Rivers to do battle with, because they knew that teams couldn't score on them in crunch time.  I still don’t know where the Clippers get their last shot from, and I fear they won’t be able to hold opponents to the 80-90 range.  It might make for a difficult season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment